top of page


Many veterans miss out on benefits they are qualified for because of frustration with the lengthy process, difficulty in following the eligibility process or inability to get to the proper place to enroll.

There are two types of registration you want to be aware of.


Register for VA ID

If a veteran does not qualify for compensation through SERVICE-CONNECTED disability, you should still register for the VA ID card.  This ID card will show your status as a Military Veteran and provide discounts at restaurants, hotels, stores and other businesses here in your hometown and throughout the United States.  You can register through the Bexas County Clerk Office or go online to

Eligability – If you served on active duty or in the Reserves or National Guard (including the Coast Guard) and you received an honorable or general discharge (under honorable conditions).  You Qualify for a Veteran ID. (also known as VIC) You will need to provide a copy of your DD214 or discharge paper when applying.


Register for Veteran Health ID card

Any veteran can apply to find out if you qualify for this benefit.  A service connected disability will qualify you for this program. 

Eligability – you were discharged for a disability that was caused – or made worse- by your active-duty or service or

         You were discharge for a hardship or “early out,” or

         You served prior to Sept 7, 1980

         If you served in certain locations during the Vietnam war

There are other reasons not listed that will qualify you for service-connected disability.

To apply for either one of these go to  and look under

         VA Benefits & Health Care.

You can also call

Bexar County Military & Veteran Center

1422 E. Grayson St, 210-335-6775

Call and make reservation first before you go.

Website -

I suggest you do not apply on your own, but instead go through a Veteran Service Office so they can make sure all the documents are correct and will be your advocate for the application. If all else fails call our Veteran Liaison.


Veteran Liaison –

         Rev. Edward A. Tello

         Guiding Light Hospice





Guiding Light Hospice is a registered, community-based hospice care agency that is licensed by the State of Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) and Medicare (CMS). We are also accredited through the Community Health Accreditation Program (CHAP).

bottom of page